WG3.7 - WORKING GROUP ON INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
IN EDUCATIONAL MANAGEMENT
TC3 - TECHNICAL COMMITTEE ON EDUCATION
IFIP - INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION FOR INFORMATION PROCESSING
Constitution (August, 2000) Aims and Scope updated (July, 2008)
This constitution should be operative only under the Statutes and Bylaws of IFIP available at http://www.ifip.or.at
Name, Aims, and Scope of Activities
Section 1 Name:
The name of WG3.7, as approved by the IFIP Technical Assembly (TA) in September 1996 in Canberra, Australia, shall be the WORKING GROUP ON INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY IN EDUCATIONAL MANAGEMENT (ITEM).
Section 2 Aims:
WG3.7 shall be committed to the improvement of the application of information technology to educational management and the study of developments in information technology and the organizational effects of the use of information technology in educational organizations throughout the world.
- To promote effective and efficient use of Information Technology within the management of educational institutions.
- To promote the use and advancement of decision-making tools within educational management, including those from the fields of operations research, decision science, expert systems, and human-computer interaction.
- To follow technological developments (hardware, software, and communication systems) and their possible impact on ITEM application and to recommend and forecast the development of ITEM systems.
- To investigate human, social, ethical, and security and confidentiality aspects of ITEM systems and to provide recommendations on these issues.
- To promote international cooperation and exchange of information on the state of the art of research, development, and implementation of ITEM systems.
- To propose themes for international, collaborative research and development in ITEM and to seek funding for such research and development from national and international bodies.
- To provide advice and support to countries and educational systems in the developmental stage of their ITEM systems, with special emphasis on developing countries and emerging educational systems.
Section 3 Scope of Activities:
The scope of WG3.7 activities shall include:
- Educational institutions: kindergarten, primary and secondary education, universities, adult education, and in-service training.
- Educational authorities and systems: local, regional, national, and international.
- Research and development institutions: academic, non-profit, government, and commercial.
Activities of WG3.7 shall be consistent with the aims and scope. These activities include but are not limited to:
- promoting and supporting IFIP and TC3 activities relevant to ITEM;
- organizing ITEM Working Conferences and other professional activities in accordance with IFIP guidelines;
- working to improve the development, quality and understanding of the use of information technology in educational organizations;
- encouraging and reporting the study of developments in information technology;
- focusing attention on technical and policy issues related to the use of information technology in educational settings.
- promoting membership of qualified persons in the working group;
- cooperating with other organizations with related purposes;
- providing information to its members or persons interested in the work of ITEM;
- promoting and participating in activities deemed by WG3.7 membership to be in the best interest of ITEM.
Membership of WG3.7
Section 1 Individual Membership:
- Membership in WG3.7 is individual. Scholars, information technologists and educational practitioners who are qualified and who are interested in the work of ITEM can become a member of WG3.7 by nomination by a current member to the Chairman. After consultation with the Executive Committee and the national TC3 representative of the country of the nominee, the proposal would be put to the working group. Recommendations for membership shall be acted upon by the Chairman of TC3 at the meeting of the Technical Committee. The normal prerequisite for nomination is attendance at one WG3.7 events. All members of WG3.7 shall be eligible to attend meetings and conferences, hold office, and serve on committees.
- Cessation of Membership -
Membership in WG3.7 will be automatically terminated in the event that a member does not attend any WG3.7 event over a period of four years. Appeal of membership status is to the Chairman of WG3.7. The appointment of WG3.7 Chairman and individual members may be terminated by the TC3 Chairman upon the recommendation of the Technical Committee. (In accordance with IFIP Statutes and Bylaws, the members of a Working Group are appointed by the Chairman of the corresponding Technical Committee, with the approval of that Committee).
Classes of Membership:
WG3.7 shall consist of active and honorary members. The Executive Committee of WG3.7 shall have authority to confer honorary memberships, subject to the approval of the Chairman of TC3.
Section 3 Voting Membership:
Voting membership is open to all persons who are active members of WG3.7. Voting processes will normally be held at the annual general meetings.
Section 4 Qualifications:
Members are expected to be qualified professionals or researchers in the field of ITEM covered by WG3.7. The Executive Committee may request a CV of nominees.
Section 5 Fees or Dues:
The Executive Committee:
The Executive Committee shall govern the affairs of WG3.7. The Executive Committee shall be made up of those WG3.7 members who are elected by the membership of the Working Group. Election is by simple majority at the annual general meeting.
Section 2 Officers:
WG3.7 shall be administered by the Executive Committee. The number of officers (up to six) shall be determined by the current Chairman but shall include at least Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and Secretary.
Section 3 Duties of Officers:
- Chairman: It shall be the duty of the Chairman to promote the policies, aims and objectives of WG3.7; give careful and prompt attention to the business of WG3.7; chair or appoint the chair of the Programme Committee to coordinate planning for WG3.7 conferences; coordinate WG3.7 publications; preside at annual general meetings of the Working Group and at the Executive Committee meetings; call the meetings of these bodies; attend to appropriate liaison with TC3 and IFIP, and with the advice of the Executive Committee, appoint members to fill the un-expired terms of office should a vacancy occur. The term of office of the Chairman shall be three years and may be renewed once only.
- Vice-Chairman: It shall be the duty of the Vice-Chairman to perform the duties customarily undertaken by the vice-chairman of an organization, in assisting the Chairman to perform duties related to WG3.7. The Vice-Chairman shall serve as Chairman in the event that the Chairman cannot serve, until the new Chairman is elected in the next election. The term of office of the Vice-Chairman shall be three years and may be renewed once only.
- Secretary: It shall be the duty of the Secretary to maintain the records of the Working Group and to work with the Officers and Executive Committee to sustain a written record of the activities, events and governance of WG3.7. The term of office of the Secretary is three years and may be renewed without any limitation.
Meetings and Conferences:
- WG3.7 shall schedule conferences at locations and times judged to be suitable by the membership at its annual general meeting. Conferences shall normally be scheduled a minimum of four years in advance.
- The Executive Committee shall schedule an Annual General Meeting at each Working Conference. During a year with no Working Conference or suitable event, the Executive Committee shall conduct an Annual General Meeting by email.
- The Chairman shall call a meeting of the Executive Committee at any time when he or she deems it appropriate to do so for purposes of planning or for modifying plans.
- WG3.7 may schedule Open Conferences as determined at its annual general meeting.
- Working Conferences and Open Conferences shall be defined in accordance with IFIP rulings.
- For official actions other than resolutions made at biannual meetings of WG3.7, the Executive Committee requires a quorum of one half of the members of the Working Group. The quorum shall include officers of the Executive Committee present.
ITEM Working Conference:
Section 6 Other Committees:
- An ITEM Working Conference (WC) is an IFIP Event categorized as: "Working Conference (WC): general category for events within a special subject area, usually sponsored by a WG for professional/scientific purpose, a restricted and small (less than 100) attendance, with refereed contributions, intended for publication as preprints or proceedings." (IFIP, Event Approval Guidelines)
- The Executive Committee shall appoint a Main Organizer who shall be responsible for organizing an ITEM WC and publishing the conference proceedings according to IFIP procedures.
- The Executive Committee shall set up a Programme Committee responsible for the planning of the WC Programme, the reviewing and selecting of papers which may be done by email, and invitations for participation in the WC. The Programme Committee shall be chaired by the W.G.3.7 Chairman or his/her delegate, and shall include the Main Organizer in its membership.
- Editors of the WC proceedings shall include the Main Organizer and the Programme Committee Chairman or their delegates.
- The Main Organizer shall be totally responsible for any financial matters in connection with the WC in accordance to IFIP rulings. The fiscal account of the WC shall be separate from and independent of W.G.3.7.
- The Chairman of W.G.3.7 shall be exempted from WC registration fees.
- Members to standing committees of WG3.7 shall be appointed by the Chairman.
- The Chairman may appoint ad hoc committees as needed.
Section 1 Revenue Sources:
Operating expenses of WG3.7 shall be met through funding from IFIP, contributions from hosting institutions or other sources of income determined by the Executive Committee.
Should WG3.7 cease to exist, all assets remaining after payment of all just debts shall be transferred by the Executive Committee to TC3 of IFIP, if IFIP has ceased to exist, transferred to a non-profit organization with a purpose similar to that of ITEM.
Interests and Liabilities:
The rights and interests in the assets of WG3.7 are vested in the full membership. Termination of membership by an individual member shall serve to release and terminate all such rights and interests of said individual member. No member of WG3.7 shall be legally liable as an individual for any indebtedness of WG3.7.
Section 4 Independent Audit:
An independent audit of the accounts of WG3.7 can be requested by a majority of the membership at an annual general meeting.
Section 5 Authority for expenditure:
Expenditures of WG3.7 shall be authorized by the Executive Committee.
Bylaws and policies which are included within the constitution may be adopted or altered at regularly scheduled WG3.7 meetings by a majority of the members present. Notice of proposed additions, deletions, or alterations must be sent to WG3.7 members at least sixty days prior to the WG3.7 annual general meeting.
Adoption of this constitution shall require a majority approval by the WG3.7 members at an annual general meeting of WG3.7 provided that all members have been notified sixty days in advance of the intent to present the constitution for a vote. The notice will include an itemized list of proposed changes over the articles contained in this document. Adoption of this constitution shall set aside all prior Constitutions and Bylaws of WG3.7, if any.
Section 2 Amendments:
This constitution may be amended by a majority vote of WG3.7 members present at an annual general meeting of WG3.7 or at a special meeting called for that purpose provided that all members have been notified sixty days in advance of the intent to present an amendment for a vote. Notification will include an itemized list of proposed changes.
Section 1 Executive Committee Nominations and Elections:
Nominations for officers on the Executive Committee can be presented to the Chairman of WG3.7 up to the start of the voting procedure. The election of said nominees shall take place during the annual general meeting of WG3.7.
- Standing Committees shall be formed at the discretion of the WG3.7 Chairman.
- The WG3.7 Chairman shall appoint chairs and members of Standing Committees. Standing committees shall consist of at least two persons. The WG3.7 Chairman shall be responsible for filling un-expired terms on standing committees.
- A member of a Standing Committee shall not normally be eligible to succeed himself/herself to the same committee after serving two consecutive terms or any portion of two consecutive terms.