IFIP WG 3.7 on ITEM
IFIP TC3 Working Group 3.7 (ITEM)
Annual General Meeting ( Hamamatsu, Japan 25 th July 2006)
- Report following ITEM2004
- New membership
- TC3 news
- Proceedings ITEM2006
- Following ITEM2004
- January 2005 Adrie Visscher became Chair of the Working Group, with Ian Selwood as Vice-Chair. Chris Thorn became secretary.
- Chris Thorn has created new website, and he’s been circulating Information from IFIP and TC3 as and when we receive it.
- New Membership
- Membership list had become out of date. Adrie and Ian and Chris have tried to contact lost members, and invite them to re-activate their membership.
- We now have an updated list of almost 20 members, and Chris has a mailing list of people interested in ITEM, that are not members but who will be kept informed of our activities.
- Adrie reminded members of membership rules (becoming a member, staying a member)
- TC3 news
- 6 members went to the WCCE 2005 Stellenbosch, and a presentation highlighting the work of the group was part of the programme. This involved a link with Alex Fung, (who was in USA at the time) and Alex’s office in Hong Kong. An informal meeting of members was also held.
- New members (5) approved at the TC3 meeting
- TC3 AGM 2006 – Alesund, Norway
- Ian attended.
- IFIP council feel that IFIP has been stagnating for some time, and now there is a move to re-launch, re-brand, and re-vitalise the whole of IFIP.
- With respect to IFIP TC3 – Education: WG3.7 is one of 8 groups in the TC3, and there are 13 TCs
- New IFIP website launched, and new TC3 website launched
- IFIP is trying to encourage TCs to cross-communicate, especially to assist developing countries.
- TC3 is also trying to encourage working groups to work together
- TC3 suggested that WG3.7 consider running conference with other WGs. General sense is to retain our identity, and just have our conference on our own, as a the next two are already scheduled, and planning for both well underway.
- TC3 also suggested that a general theme of all groups should be Lifelong Learning. After some discussion on this issue WG3.7 felt that could not work on a single platform but would consider Lifelong Learning as one of conference themes. Len Newton commented that he valued WG3.7 group, but we must be careful to keep informed re other groups, and not get stuck in a silo. Bill Davey suggested we should show goodwill, and invite members of other groups to participate in our conferences. Ian noted that other groups were informed of our conference and the “Call for Papers” when they went out.
- Ian is Vice-Chair, which normally becomes chair. But Ian is now Editor in Chief of TC3s journal “Education and Information Technologies”, and he’s finding the workload a bit much. Ian advises that he’ll be resigning at the next conference 2008.
- Submission to “Education and Information Technologies” is now electronic.
- Secretary’s report. Chris Thorn not present, but Ian spoke warmly of Chris’ contribution, re website and general communications – much more dynamic.
- Photographs – any ITEM2006 photos – please send to Ian for uploading to website.
- New members
- Jacques Bulchand
- Andreas Breiter
- Maree Skillen
- Brian Pawson
- Don Passey
- Elspeth McKay
- Adrie asked all proposed to send one page to Adrie requesting membership. Adrie will then contact National Representatives for approval and when this has been received will forward these to Chair of TC3. Then these names will be put forward to IFIP.
- Proceedings (Arthur Tatnall)
- Book of selected papers will be published through Springer
- Some papers still require re-formatting (Springer template)
- Please get them to Arthur before September
- Expect the book in December 2006 / January 2007
- Darwin, Australia (July ?)
- (ITEM2010 – Botswana